I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens on opening night and completely loved it. J.J. Abrams did an amazing job capturing the spirit of the original and building an awesome new environment for the future of the franchise.
It's not a perfect movie, but it is amazingly fun and I enjoyed every minute of it. If you haven't seen it and are even remotely a Star Wars fan, go and see it.*
You can find spoiler-free reviews all over the internet. I'm not going to do a review or spoil any plot points, but I want to talk about the things I really loved in the new movie.
- Rey. I have daughters. And I couldn't be happier that Rey is a strong, independent and awesome character in the Star Wars universe. The original trilogy didn't have any strong women outside of Leia. I can't wait to see what my daughters think of Rey.
- Droids. BB-8 steals the show. Seriously great. And great moments from C-3PO and R2-D2, too. Funny and comical in the same way that they were in the original trilogy. Not obnoxious and slap-stick like the prequels.
- Spoiler Free. I went into the movie completely spoiler free. I hadn't read reviews or online spoilers. I watched the trailers, but that was it. I didn't have any idea what was coming next. And it was perfect.
- Mystery. Lots of mysteries are revealed, but even more are teased and not answered. Plenty to reveal in the next two movies.
- Production Design. The movie looks incredible. It's a perfect visual extension of the original trilogy. The ships are great. The planets look amazing. And the whole thing looks like Star Wars.
I'm going to see it again tonight with my wife and will probably have more thoughts. But as a Star Wars fan, I'm happy. Thanks, J.J.
* And see it now, before the movie is spoiled for you.