I started working on some sketches for a new typeface design and moved over to Fontstruct to prototype. I really like the way the prototype turned out, even if it looks virtually nothing like my sketches.
A couple of notes about Runabout:
- Unicase, but mostly lowercase. Most unicase designs are primarily uppercase, but Runabout is mostly inspired by the lowercase.
- Short ascenders and descenders. I tried to keep the design vertically compact, with very short ascenders and descenders.
- Flexible. I’m releasing two weights: Regular and Superwide. My plan is the have a range of weights and widths.
- Aligning the accents. I’m playing around with the idea that accents don’t need to be centered over the letter.
- Work in progress. I’m going to continue to develop Runabout. I don’t know if I’ll release more on Fontstruct or if I move development over to Glyphs.
* You can see and download all my published Fontstruct designs on the Sketchbook B Fontstruction page.